Monday, June 20, 2011

Another Blog?

Those of you who know me might wonder why I’ve created another blog. In 2008, I created a blog to keep friends and family informed during the process of my and my husband’s (at the time) international adoption. I posted details about the adoption process to help educate those who were curious and provided regular updates in hopes we might receive a few less “Have you heard anything yet?” phone calls and emails. By the time we traveled to Korea to bring our son, Rai, home, the blog was filled with pictures and detailed descriptions of everything I could recall on those few action-packed days. A few weeks after we arrived home, we received confirmation that our son’s foster mother, or “omma”, was able to access the blog and regularly checked for new updates and pictures. It was at that time that I realized how important this website was for our newly extended family. The blog was a wonderful way of keeping people connected. Even my mother’s family in Japan regularly checked the website and hoped to see pictures and videos of our family as often as possible.

Now fast forward to 2011, and you’ll notice many things have changed. I am no longer married but in a relationship with a wonderful man who makes me smile and keeps me on my toes. I’m a mother to an adorable and bright 3 and ½ year old who doesn’t stop dancing, singing … or talking. And I still blog regularly with pictures, videos, and updates. Given my new martial status (or lack thereof), I have changed the blog title to “Life with Rai” and have focused on the updates that relate to my son.

This year, however, has also meant a new perspective on my life. In addition to identifying myself as a mother, I have been asked to look at all the things which are important in my life and define me as … me. So this blog is a small step in redefining my life. I certainly love to take pictures, so this blog will be an attempt to provide a larger scope of my life through one of my favorite hobbies: photography. I am certainly not a talented photographer, but I have been inspired by many individuals who keep up with a photo of the day blog. Some pictures will be simple iPhone uploads and other may require that I learn how to use my new digital camera with manual features.

So here goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment