Sunday, June 26, 2011

New York - Day 5. Gay Pride Parade 2011

After a quick shopping trip of 5th Ave, I exited the store just in time for the Gay Pride Parade to pass. I couldn't see most of the parade since I was too far back, but the images (not necessarily caught in my pictures) brought tears to my eyes. Two women in their 50s or 60s, one most likely Indian and the other African American, holding hands as they made it through the crowd. A crowd letting an older woman in a wheelchair waving a rainbow flag through to the front. Two women in their 40s wearing headscarves and waving rainbow flags at the front of the crowd. It was amazing! Tony and I had just had a conversation the night before about how nice it was to see openly gay couples walking down the streets. Coming from Texas where gay couples sometimes won't hold hands in public, this parade was an incredible experience and maybe one of my favorites in New York thus far.

No comments:

Post a Comment